Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring Cleaning and Studio Redo

For the past few months I was feeling like it was time for a change in the studio as we seemed to be outgrowing our space and things were getting a little too messy for me.  I began to make plans to see how things could be arranged for a more efficient work area.  We decided last Monday would be a good day to start.  I had figured that it would be a two day job -- one day to "pull everything apart" and the next day to put it all back.  I thought we would be right back at claying again by Wednesday but I underestimated how much work it would be and five days later, the dust has finally settled and things are pretty much now in their new place.

So here is a little tour of our new and improved, rearranged studio:

We have three work stations, one of which is this Ikea table with the glass top that is my favorite.  This is now our "secondary work space" for working with mica powders, paints, glazing and such. 


Instead of three separate work tables I decided to combine two of them to create a corner space.  The clay work area is on the left and the jewelry making area is on the right.  Any items that is used for both clay and jewelry making is now within reach and not on the opposite side of the room as before.

Corner Work Area

Clay Work Station

Jewelry Making Work Station
This is the "baking area" with extra storage for beads, etc. that is opposite to the clay and jewelry work stations.


And another view of the Ikea table facing the closet .... 


... which is also my sewing area.  I shared here how I created this work space last year.  I can sew any time I want and then close the closet door when done.


Lastly, this little cupboard is actually for shoes but I reclaimed it from our closet to use it here.  I found some bins and boxes to fit into the spaces to help keep items that need working on or finishing a little more organized.


So now our studio is new and freshly arranged, I am ready to go back to "work" and hopefully play a little as well in between.

6 comments:

Almost Precious said...

Looks marvelous. You've managed to cram an awful lot of stations, equipment and supplies into your workroom and it looks fantastic. Very organized, efficient and also cheerful.

ps - Do you find you get less comments using the CAPTCHA code to filter out robotic spam ? I found that when I had it my comments fell to almost zero, so I got rid of it. But then I LOVE to get comments so to me it was worth it.

2 Good Claymates said...

Yes I am quite happy with the space but there always seems to be items left over you don't know where to put. I was wondering about what you mentioned about the captcha code but we were getting a lot of spam and since we switched we do get very few comments. Perhaps I will try taking it off for a while and see how that goes. Thank-you for stopping by and commenting!

Cynthia Blanton said...

You did a great job on your work space. I'm very impressed.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Cynthia. Was a bit of work but well worth the effort!

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

You came up with an enviable layout, Carolyn. Must certainly be a joy to work her :)

prova said...

Congrat! You really did a wonderful job on your work area... everything it's ok and well-located and everyone would have a creative-lab like yours! Alessio