Thursday, March 6, 2008

Devine Intervention?

We really enjoy making jewellry for our friends. One of them only wears necklaces with a cross. When we asked her about it, she told us it was one of her favorite pieces as she is a Christian and it was a symbol of her faith.

We decided to make her a necklace with a polymer clay cross and matching tube beads in a mokume gane style. This is a metal smithing technique from Japan that can be imitated by stacking clay in an assortment of colors and then cut into with tools or stamps. Pieces are then thinly shaved off leaving a random design. I stamped the layered clay with some circle and square cutters and then carefully shaved thin layers off placing onto a sheet of black clay. I was almost done when somethig amazing happened. I think you will agree with me that what was left in the centre of the cross after I carefully cut around it added an even deeper meaning.


No comments: