Thursday, September 24, 2009

Making a Plaid Cane

  

I love all kinds of tartan plaids, especially the ones in rich colors so I've been experimenting with different ways of imitating this warm fabric in my clay.

Here are several online tutorials I've come across on the internet:

Plaid Cane  by Polymer Clay Express

School Spirit Cane by Lisa Clarke at Polka Dot Creations

Violet Tartan Plaid Cane  by  Kro K Do  (in french)

Plaid Cane by Dora's Explorations

I decided to give Dora's cane tutorial a try and I must say I am impressed with how she worked this complicated type of cane out.  I followed her instructions choosing peridot green, olive green and dark red as my three colors.  I really love how it turned out but I found the colors came out a little darker after baking than what I was aiming for.  I also have to agree with Dora that it is very difficult to keep the lines straight while reducing the cane.  I have an idea I want to try for my next attempt and will keep you posted.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous plaid ! I love the colors you used. Thanks so much for mentioning my tutorial on your blog, I'm glad you were able to follow my directions. If you come up with a way to make the lines straighter, I'd like to hear it.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Dora -- and thank you to you for your hard work and planning in your plaid canes! I will definitely let you know how I make my lines straighter -- if I succeed of course! lol !

K Ro said...

Nice Job! good colors really like fabric ^^ Thanks for the link! Sorry for my bad english ;)

Anonymous said...

I was just looking for a tutorial for making a plaid, I had jumped from Dora's tutorial to yours. I've usually stuck to simple canes but these look doable