Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Making More Buttons

I've been making my own polymer clay buttons and wearing them on my own clothing for a few years now and love how they look.  What I like most is how I can even coordinate them with my jewelry.

A quilting store in our area is now carrying some of our buttons which I specially for them.  Here are a few of my favorites that are all very large and measure around 2 inches which look great on quilted bags.





Some of these will be available in our Etsy shop as soon as I can make up some more.

Polymer clay works great for making buttons and if you are a newbie and want to learn how to make proper ones that won't fall apart in the wash as well as look good, Lisa Clarke of Polka Dot Cottage is running a free 5 week tutorial on her blog.  You will find her first lesson here.  Second lesson here, and her most recent third lesson here.

If you are a more advanced clayer or want to go to the next level,  I have a tutorial I published called "Making Beautiful Buttons".  It is available in both our ArtFire Studio as well as our Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Marian Hertzog said...

I did not know you could put them in the washer! Do you put a sealer on them first? Very pretty buttons!

2 Good Claymates said...

I put mine in the washer all the time -- as a matter of fact I test them out first in the wash before using or selling. I always turn the garment inside out so the buttons are inside or I put my blouse or sweater in a lingerie bag. I've even kept them in the same bag and thrown it in the dryer -- if the blouse can go there, otherwise I hang to dry -- depends on the items they are on.

They don't need any sealer unless they have mica powders or inks or something like that.