Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Pantone Fall 2014 Fashion Colors Bright Cobalt and Royal Blue

The Pantone Fall 2014 fashion colors are a little unusual this year as they not only consist of two types of reds but also two shades of blues -- Bright Cobalt and Royal Blue.

Bright Cobalt is a close match to the Kato Blue but lightened up slightly.  Rather than just adding white or pearl, I like to add a bit of my White Mix (See recipe #1-2 in my Clay Color System tutorial)

Clay recipe for
Bright Cobalt

10 parts of Kato Blue
1 part of Mix #1-2*

   

Clay recipe for
Royal Blue

Same as the "Royal Blue" Recipe #9-4*

Another variation for the Royal Blue:
Substitute 1/2 part Mix #1-2*
for the 1 part Kato Pearl

* See "Carolyn's Clay Color System" tutorial for these base mix recipes.

I have been asked many times if I could do the Pantone color recipes or remake my Clay Color System using Premo clay.  I had thought about this but with the two primary colors (Zinc Yellow and Cobalt Blue) that Premo decided to discontinue makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to mix up the same true colors.

A good example of this is comparing Cobalt Blue with Royal Blue.  Kato uses the true primary colors which work best for color mixing and combining.  The Kato blue is like Cobalt blue -- the same shade of blue that Premo discontinued.  To obtain a royal blue, you need to add a touch of red (or violet which is half red and half blue).  You can mix up a royal blue from Cobalt blue but you cannot make Cobalt Blue from Royal Blue as the Cobalt is "pure" where the Royal is a "mix".  Does this make any sense?  Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Just a note, I understand that Fimo has created a new line of Classic clay in the true colors.  This is great as finally other polymer manufacturers are finally figuring out what is important to an artist and that is to be able to mix and create color.  I am not planning on formulating the Pantone or my Color System using this clay in the (near) future as I am not a big fan of this type of clay.  I am quite happy working with the Kato product as I am very familiar and comfortable with using it.

No comments: